Monday, March 23, 2009

On The Road Again - Day 2 - Meeting the ONE!!

Good Afternoon:

If you have read my blogs up to now, you know how much I have fallen in love with West Coast Swing. I just can't seem to get enough of it, through practice, lessons, dances or events. I first saw the dance on You Tube after watching Benji Schwimmer winning So You Think You Can Dance. I found this video with John Lindo and Deborah Szekely and was amazed. Right then and there I fell in love and had to do it. So from that point on, I watched every video I could find on You Tube and came across this one that just blew me away. It was a WCS video of Angie Cameron and Troy Reed winning at Boogie By The Bay. Angie was amazing, so I started looking up more videos on her. I did not find that many but what I did find I absolutely love. From that point on I fell in love with Angie (from a dancing point of you *LOL*) and I knew I had to eventually meet her and maybe even get up enough nerve to dance with her (Ok picture this - this old guy learning WCS sees the gorgeous young fantastic dancer and makes it his goal in WCS to meet and dance with her - yeah right!!! *LOL*)

So where is this all leading anyway?? Ok, I am getting to that!!! Shelley S. who is one of my dance teachers happens to know Angie and Angie happens to be coming to MadJam this weekend. So Shelley was planning on telling Angie about me and how much I wanted to meet her and to dance with her. So now my nerves and anxiety are going through the roof. Here is a 57 year old (I want to think mature but many would disagree with that *L*) acting like a 14 year old groupie - How sad is that??? *L*

Well Shelley did talk to Angie and she said she would love to meet me and have a dance with me. Ok pressure is mounting here - Do I run and find a corner to hide in and miss the opportunity I have hoping to get for over a year, or start acting my age (well at least a little older than 14) and go up and meet her?? Well someone had already taken my corner so there was only one choice left!

So Friday evening I started looking around the dance floor and hoping she would come down to dance. Around midnight she did show up and with my heart going a mile a minute I actually went over, introduced myself and asked her to dance. And she said Yes!!!! And you know what?? It was amazing, everything I had hoped the dance would be and hopefully I did not make a fool of myself. Unfortunately,I did not get much of a chance to talk to her, would have loved to get to know here a little better, but the chance to dance with her was the best. I wanted to dance with her again that weekend, but really felt like I was imposing on her. I am hoping there will be another chance at another event, because I would love to dance with her again. She is still, by far, my favourite pro dancer.

I had 3 goals in West Coast Swing when I started:

1. Become the best dancer I could
2. Dance with Julie Epplett ( a local teacher)
3. Dance with Angie Cameron

I have accomplished 2 1/2 of those - still got a long way to go to be the best dancer I can. But I have added a 4th goal now.

4. Dancing with Angie Cameron again *LOL*

Have a wonderful day

Larry

No comments: